About Tisbury

A view of  some of the historical and interesting features of the area. . . History here is quite near the surface Queen Ann and Queen Mary  stayed with their grandfather at Hatch  House when children,  Rudyard Kipling stayed with his parents here at the Gables on Hindon Lane, King Charles I owned Fonthill estate for a while forfeited from a court case, William Beckford built his tower to out do his fathers house ( both now demolished) in the park. The tithebarn was owned by Wilton House and Lord Pembroke after belonging to the Abbess of Shaftesbury but is now Messums Art Gallery. Not content with a ruined castle (blown up by the lady owner in the civil war) we have a 'New Castle' both  at Wardour. . . the old one features in many films. The area being between mainroads is used a lot for films and TV series but retains  character of often doing things Tisbury way!  Tisbury is a large village  or tiddly town ( we prefer village !)  13 miles (21 km) west of Salisbury. It has a population at the 2011 census of 2,253 and works as  a centre for communities around the upper River Nadder and Vale of Wardour. The parish includes the hamlets of Upper Chicksgrove and Wardour, with Fonthill and Hindon nearby  and a few miles from both the A30 and A350. Tisbury is the largest settlement within the Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty so the scenery around is some of the best in Wiltshire causing us to feature in broadsheets as one of the best places to live.


https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tisbury-best-places-to-live-2017-pn0bd5rhv

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jan/01/lets-move-nadder-valley-wiltshire




The town square Tisbury and old Brewery built originally by a local railway and businessman Archibald Beckett. The new road, now the High Street, through the village replaced the narrow causeway which can still be seen winding between houses down by the papershop. Beckett also built the red brick Victorian shops and houses which fringe the road and an inn, the Benett Arms and the brewery in Church Street which has now been converted into apartments



The Boot Inn near the top of the High Street. Built around 1600 with additions to the front from both the 1700 and the 19th century. It is timber framed with rubble stone infill and dressed limestone additions. It is Grade II listed and as in many really old buildings has steps down into the pub due to altering floor levels over the years



Place Farm Gatehouse the entrance to Tisbury from the back Salisbury Road. Originally the monastic grange, called Abbey Grange Place Farm and the administrative centre for the monastery when the town was 'Tisbury Minster' and belonging to Shaftesbury Abbey .



Place Farm Tithe Barn the entrance to Tisbury from the back Salisbury Road... with new roof. Its 14th-century thatched tithe barn, a Grade 1 listed building and scheduled Ancient Monument, bears the largest thatched roof in England. The barn is 13 bays long with a central midstrey and wagon porch with a smaller wagon porch opposite. The two other wagon entrances were inserted in the Tudor times. Shortly to be Messums Art Gallery which will be another asset to keep Tisbury flourishing

more history of the Tithe Barn




Fonthill Arch the entrance to Tisbury from the B3095



                      Fonthill Lake which lies just to the south of the village of Fonthill Bishop, east of the village of Fonthill Gifford, and northeast of Fonthill Abbey. The lake is 1.6 km (1 mi) long and approximately 100 m (328 ft) wide at its maximum breadth with normally a good population of Swans, Mandarin Duck, Egrets, Herons etc. The lake was extended by Alderman Beckford  ( William's father) and used for a cloth fulling mill after being sold by William Beckford and the remains of the industrial buildings are at the base near the hyro electric pumping station.




Church Street Tisbury



St John's Church Tisbury built to replace its earlier wooden Saxon Stave church by the twelfth century. Due to an increasing population and prosperity of the area the replacement was the cruciform building we see today. Work included the raising of the roof in the mid-l5th Century to allow the 'clerestory' to flood the church with light. Another feature was to replace the earlier 60 foot spire, in 1762 after lightning strikes had destroyed it for the second time in twenty years!
Wardour

Wardour Castle ( old castle) managed by English Heritage who have designated it as a grade I listed building,and is open to the public. The original castle was partially destroyed during the Civil War. In the seventeenth century, much of the west side was destroyed when the castle was twice taken over: once by the Parliamentarians under the command of Sir Edward Hungerford who managed to take control of Wardour following a six-day hold out by Lady Blanche Arundell. When alone in the castle, she around 25 soldiers managed to defend Wardour against 1300 advancing Parliamentarians. Hungerford was eventually replaced by Edmund Ludlow who was besieged by the Royalists for ten months. In March 1643 tunnels under the castle were mined by the opposing forces but were let off by accident by the Parliamentarians. The castle's outer walls were destroyed and on the 18 March 1644 the men laid down their arms and left the castle site.

Email click here    Telephone  01747 260120

Copyright © Tisbury Brocante